Friday, March 29, 2013

Fishing, Farming and The Best Death Ever

Yesterday was day one of my fishing adventures at Lake Allatoona. It was me, my friend who is not necessarily an Ogre and my trusty flat back canoe with a trolling motor. Like all days dedicated to fishing, it had much potential. We kept it light and easy with the logistics, learning over the years that driving 2 hours+ to command the boat for an hour to get to the "spot" does not always create a day of good fishing, just more time wasting than anything else.

The results are in:

Once again, I have proven that I must not have the means necessary to charge a marine battery, luckily we brought a backup. My trusty 25 year old canoe did start taking on water for the first time which usually doesn't go away by itself.

I also knew in the back of my mind that fishing while the weather is acting crazy is either hit or miss, usually miss big time. I remembered why I ceased all winter fishing operations here in GA a few years back when I unofficially became an adult of sorts. The wind was cold, the water was cold and  due to the weird spell this week, the fish aren't spawning yet. *whisper*That means they weren't having sex (in their own way) where we could find them. Nope, no shallow action was to be found. It does seem a little crazy to take advantage of bass while they are having all that fun.

It was a beautiful day with only one or two bass boats in sight or threatening us with drowning in their wake. I did see a houseboat that was being prepared for service which was cool, I WANT ONE. I would like to make a recording studio on one and have live shows, they would always sell out but I am sure the insurance would be astronomical.    

What's next? Farming. Due to our inability to catch a large bounty of fish, most of today was devoted to my pleasure garden...I mean vegetable garden. Yes, I have planted the following fruits and vegetables thus far:

1. 12 Tomato plants to include Black Cherry, Beefsteak, Roma
2. 60 or so Red Onions
3. 1 Black grape plant?
4. 8 Strawberry
5. 3 Mixed lettuce
6. Hens and Chickens (not for eating, I think)
7. Irish Moss (not for eating, unless it is the seaweed variety, which this is not)

Among others, seeds are literally being sowed as we speak under my full spectrum lamp in the basement (only legal seedlings this year, sorry) and I hope to have much more to report on in the weeks to come. I will devote one blog at least to getting a garden started, probably next week with links and pics for anyone who will listen.

Keep in mind that not too long ago everyone had a garden at their house and it is a noble tradition to continue.

Now death!

I have always had it in my heart that I would like to be eaten by a shark. Being out on the open water where their are deff no sharks reminded me of this. Now, not a small sharky mind you, that would take too much time and I would likely die in a hospital later from infection, not cool.

This time last year, I jumped from a C-130 (airplane) into the ocean ON PURPOSE. It's ok, the green men said it was cool. I almost drowned but was rescued by a Zodiac with my name on it. The night before, I looked up how many sharks were in Tampa Bay and was highly disappointed by the sizes offered.

Seriously people, suicide is stupid. Kidding not aside for the moment though, I was fearless jumping out of that plane knowing that this was my big chance....The headlines, oh the headlines:

MARC DIES DURING AIRBORNE OPERATIONS IN TAMPA AFTER LANDING WITH PARACHUTE IN THE WATER AND BATTLING A VICIOUS GIANT MONSTER SHARK...THE SHARK ALSO WASHED UP ON A NEARBY BEACH SOME TWO HOURS LATER, DEATH FROM FATIGUE AND BLUDGEON.

2 comments:

  1. Sure, get a houseboat. First figure out how to make money with it. I've seen the smaller houseboats for a pittance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would highly prefer that you die of old age AFTER accomplishing numerous acts of kindness, becoming a grandfather and perhaps a great-grandfather, and "dabbling" in enough of the right things that you can take care of me financially in my old age.

    ReplyDelete