Sunday, April 7, 2013

American Dream Dead? Hell No, Opportunists Unite

Can you still make something out of nothing?

After having a good conversation with my dad, I have come to the conclusion that the American dream as he knew it is well...different. It's probably a tad retro actually, although not the 70's or super cool 80's kind. More likely, it's sharing similarities to the age before we had industrial giants who could be bought out and lay off hundreds of workers at a time...era. Sorry technocrats, HARD WORK and plain know-how doesn't just go away in 2013 though...unless you are on the dole.

I say this because I asked my father what he would do in my shoes, staring down the barrel at numerous opportunities. I am trying to decide which should carry the most weight. He got it right when he said that he was the wrong person to ask. When he was growing up in a family of 6, the blue mantra was that if you got a good job at a factory or somewhere within that realm, had a family, a house a car, etc. everything would be cool. Now, the average worker changes they don't even know how many jobs. Check out this Wall Street Journal Article...they are just as confused because nobody really tracks it, but the consensus seems to be about 7 careers which is neither here nor there. The point is, long were the days of staying behind the wheel of one job and retiring in that job. I got wind of that the first time, about 20 years ago when my dad, step dad and step mom all got laid off from Rubbermaid and Monarch Machine in Cortland, NY. Times were changing then and they are continuing to shift. That's all well and good for an opportunist like me, would be event better if I had the heart to be a grifter. Oh well, instead of being a sophisticated con-artist, I've decided to go legit. Below are my current opportunities in which I will attempt to once again make something out of nothing. Go ahead a VOTE in the comments section for your favorite.

1. May start a farm enterprise with an Army and college buddy. We are meeting tomorrow to discuss and I really have high hopes. I need to find a land companies for agricultural in Bartow, Paulding or Cherokee county. I really like landwatch but I don't find as much ag in those areas and some stuff has been sold months ago. The truth is, if I had 10,000 dollars, a couple months to get started and at least 20 acres, I would already be farming. This is the perfect realm for the dabbler as everyday is different and you can change it up from time to time. I certainly wouldn't expect to be an industrial farmer but those hippies at the Chattanooga farmer's market are making a killing selling certified organic to yuppies. Some people can make a decent living at it but I would be in it for the quality of life. It's not really a matter of if I will have a farm one day, just when.  

2. I looked at a couple of commercial properties on Friday, checking out the possibility of being a landlord and having a place to conduct my various businesses, or more appropriate, dabblings. The only decent prospect so far was a mansion type in Canton, GA zoned office and professional (OP) with 7 lawyer/accountant type offices, 3 are rented bringing in 1000 already. It has been redone but it is a tough sell because...well it's downtown Canton, GA and really a 20 year play. At 160K and completely renovated, it's a steal. But Marc, how could you afford it??? OWNER FINANCING. Best way to go, how I bought the hoarder's house and how I will buy all property if I have to finance. Me, my lawyer and the seller is the only way to go...banks suck and make you justify your existence now...for good reason, they really screwed up a few years back. Needless to say, I will keep looking.

3. Precious and I have been talking about going into the studio recording business for years. He has the knowledge and the equipment, I have the business savvy and the ability to make the phones ring with my glamorous personality. Just a question of where??? Need space which ties in a little with #2 and maybe #1. We figured the other night we could actually build a control room in a trailer, check out this possibly overpriced design from Markertek. Could be done cheaper starting out with one of these from trailershowroom . Then we could come to you and record your tabernacle choir on site! Almost bought a house boat, whew! Good thing I lost that eBay auction. That would be cool and easy to market but dismal during the winter months.

4. Marketing Co-op that I will be project manager/copywriter of. We meet for the first time next week and I have a high hopes. A Co-op defined here if you don't know. This could end up funding everything if it works out.

5. The always trusty taxi-cab leasing business. Will probably use this to fund #3 until #3 funds itself but it is always a good back up. Send your unwanted cars to me.

6. Finishing my MFA in Writing at National University. Fiction Workshop starts tomorrow, I am so happy. I get to get all turbines running again and get some feedback on my work. One more step closer to being an English adjunct prof. so watch out univ of Phoenix English 1101. This is interchangeable with all endeavors previously listed as it makes me a better writer and I can teach English part time from the beach. I am a writer, for now I will compile it with this though, need to finish at least 1 of 4 books I am working on.

7. April 20 ish I'll get my first finished motorcycle from the Ogre to sell, dawning the new era of J&M Powersports.

I probably forgot some current endeavors but as you can see, I have a whole lot to ponder. I did lay in my garden for the season, so at least my food will be subsidised by..me.

My father would have never thought it possible to use 40+ a week this way. The truth doesn't change though, NONE of these endeavors will succeed without a good woman, some good old fashioned HARD WORK and some know-how. Opportunists unite.

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see how the cow farming venture works out.

    Also, I am surprised you are so excited about working with college students--I thought my stories about them were bad enough, but your wife certainly has some of those topped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I like young idiots, they have promise. S would understand.

      Delete
  2. For you I would say #1 & #3, though I would be interested in joining in on the concept of #2.

    ReplyDelete